Rice Cooker Recipes - Spicy Steamed Tuna with Brown Rice and Vegetables

I recently purchased a rice cooker with a food steaming tray. My first experiment is detailed below. Aside from failing to check the quality on the final photo (before eating everything) I am pretty happy with this first shot at using the steamer.

I used two parts blackening season to one part Old Bay. Obviously adjust that ratio to your personal taste. Evenly season the piece of fish to taste. Place it to one side of the steam tray. You could fit two filets easily along with the vegetables in this tray. Check your local grocery freezer for frozen fish filets. Popular choices include: tuna, tilapia, snapper, or grouper to name a few.

The vegetables were just a bag of frozen vegetable medley from the local grocery store. I seasoned them with Italian seasoning and some sea salt. Fresh vegetables would have turned out crisper and a little tastier. It is hard to beat the convenience of the frozen vegetables though. The fact that I am actually eating the vegetables is the important part.

I am trying to eat more brown rice. Brown rice usually needs a little more water to cook properly compared to white rice. I used 1.5 cups of brown rice and 2.5 cups of water this first time. The rice stuck a little bit, but I think that I could have checked it a little earlier.

I didn't take a good picture of the finished product. I was half-way through eating it before I actually bothered to check the picture. This is what I ended up with. But the food was great. The smell of it cooking a pleasant surprise. It's a quick and easy meal that's actually healthy for you.

Stay tuned for more rice cooker recipes. I love it so far, and look forward to all sorts of culinary experiments!

No comments:

Post a Comment