Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

For a few years I have been training Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. I absolutely love it. Few things I have ever done are as enjoyable or rewarding. I would spend three or four hours a day practicing jiu-jitsu if I could. I enjoy the competition aspect, and I have seen both the ups and downs in tournament performance.


Click here for results of my first NAGA Tournament, two years ago in Boca Raton, FL. At right you can see the smile on my face after finishing 3rd. I wish I had my winning match on video instead of my loss in the no-gi match at this tournament. Unfortunately, this has been the highlight of my jiu-jitsu tournament career so far.

As you can see in the following video, I have had my experience with a royal butt kicking as well. I don't remember going to sleep, but I do remember waking. That was the first and hopefully last time I go to sleep during jiu-jitsu. It's a loss like this that makes you want to practice harder and prepare better. I am looking to compete again in October at a local event. We'll see if I can get my weight under control in time. You can follow me here on Traineo.



For those of you unfamiliar with Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, please watch the following video. It is excellent footage of Grandmasters Helio and Carlos Gracie demonstrating the benefits of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. It is an effective system of self-defense, especially in a ground fighting situation. Thanks to Royce Gracie and the early fights in the UFC the usefulness of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu in MMA is also quite obvious. Please enjoy this video, I hope you appreciate a good history lesson like I do.



If you live in Jacksonville, I train here with Luiz Palhares. If you are curious, want to get in shape, and learn an effective system of self-defense come give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment